Status messageActive context: kki_bg_colors_green
Project HEAL (Health, Education, Advocacy, and Law) at Kennedy Krieger Institute
Project HEAL is Maryland’s only comprehensive medical-legal partnership. A community-based program of the Maryland Center for Developmental Disabilities (MCDD) at Kennedy Krieger Institute, Project HEAL provides comprehensive advocacy and legal services for children with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families. Project HEAL attorneys collaborate with Kennedy Krieger faculty, staff, and trainees to ensure that patients receive the medical and legal care they need.
Advocacy and Legal Services
- Representation: special education matters, Supplemental Security Income appeals, and simple family law matters.
- Limited representation: brief advice, document review, referrals, information, and resources.
- Case consultations: advice to Kennedy Krieger faculty, staff, and trainees.
- Pro bono referrals: Baker Donelson, Ballard Spahr, LLP, DLA Piper, and nonprofit legal services organizations.
- Professional trainings: for healthcare professionals, trainees, and educators.
- Community trainings: for children, families, service providers, and outside agencies.
Project HEAL provides legal services for patients at Kennedy Krieger Institute with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families, if they meet the income eligibility requirements and have a civil legal issue requiring an attorney. Fees are determined based on a sliding scale. Written proofs of income and advance payment are required. For income eligibility guidelines and fees, contact Project HEAL at (443) 923-4414.
Here's what a Harford County guardian said of Project HEAL's help in April 2014:
Visit the Client Testimonials page to read what parents and guardians impacted by Project HEAL are saying.
Maureen van Stone, Esq., M.S.
Director, Project HEAL
716 N. Broadway, Office 106
Baltimore, MD 21205
Tel: (443) 923-4416
Fax: (443) 923-4417
Mallory Finn, Esq.
716 N. Broadway, Office 111
Baltimore, MD 21205
Tel: (443) 923-9571
Fax: (443) 923-9581
- Community Advisory Council
- Faculty & Staff
- Pre-Service Preparation and Continuing Education
- Community Services
- Research and Evaluation
- Information Dissemination
- Policy and Funding Partners
- Inspiring Stories
- Center Newsletter
- Contact Us
MCDD News & Updates
Passage of the Equal Employment Act:
Project HEAL's 2015 Outstanding Partner
We would like to acknowledge Ron Howard of Ron Howard & Associates at RE/MAX Preferred in Baltimore, Maryland, for his outstanding support of Project HEAL. During 2015, Ron individually contributed over $2,000, helping to provide legal care for low- and moderate-income families raising children with disabilities.
A free resource that provides access to information and support for individuals and families living with developmental disabilities.