People with developmental disabilities are often left out of the conversation about sexuality, almost as if they are incapable of having thoughts, feelings, and needs. In reality, they, too, are sexual beings that need information and skills for making healthy decisions about sexuality. This workshop will help providers who work with people with developmental disabilities become more comfortable talking about this sensitive topic by discussing what needs to be taught when and how to help people with developmental disabilities have safe and satisfying relationships.
Training Format/Duration: Classroom/Full-Day
- Social workers
- School Counselors
- Support and other school staff
- Medical Staff
- Speech/language therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Physical therapists
This workshop is designed to help you:
- Gain knowledge about sexuality and specific issues for people with developmental disabilities
- Explore our own values and attitudes regarding sexuality and people with developmental disabilities
- Explore ways to communicate about sexuality with people with developmental disabilities and their parents/guardians.