Traveling thousands of miles to give your child access to the best medical care is a challenge. To make your journey easier, the Kennedy Krieger Institute helps coordinate the many services necessary to receive medical care for your child, including assistance with interpreters, financial arrangements, accommodations, travel and visa issues.
For access to these services, please call our International Care Management Office at (443) 923-9413.
Kennedy Krieger School Programs offer a range of educational programs and services for children ages 5-21 with mild to severe special education needs:Contact (443) 923-7800 (Extension: 37780) for details.
Appointments or Second Opinions:
To make an appointment, or to seek a second opinion from a specialist at the Kennedy Krieger Institute, you may:
- Download and complete an Appointment Request Form, and an international care coordinator will contact you.
- Call (443) 923-9413 to speak to our international patient care coordinator or nurse.
Our International Care Management office will be glad to assist you in the financial process for receiving medical care. Our helpful, knowledgeable staff can help you prepare estimates, verify insurance/embassy coverage and collect payments. For detailed information about payment options, see the information below.
We work with patients and their representatives to provide an estimate of charges, collect funds prior to any hospital care, physician services, or other medical providers, and resolve questions about outstanding charges. Self-paying patients receive a cost estimate based on the level of expected hospital and other medical provider services as determined by your provider and our history of similar cases. Full payment is required prior to the start of services.
While we try to be as accurate as possible in the estimate, the actual charges can sometimes vary from the original estimate. We appreciate your patience and cooperation in keeping your account in good standing with Kennedy Krieger Institute and its clinical providers.
Methods of Payment:
The following are acceptable forms of payment for Self-Pay charges:
- MasterCard, VISA, Bank Portals like Union Pay and many others, and Wire Transfer through our Secure Payment Portal administered on our behalf by Western Union.
Please select your local or closest currency to enjoy the best foreign exchange rate, lowest fees, and transaction amount limitations. This will also ensure that Kennedy Krieger Institute receives 100% of your funds as quickly as possible.
- Traveler’s checks, Certified checks drawn on U.S. bank, or Money orders
- Cash (U.S. dollars only accepted by on-campus appointment)
Methods of Payment:
For your convenience, Kennedy Krieger accepts the following methods of payment:
- American Express
- Discover Card
- U.S. checks
- Wire transfers
Patients with Insurance:
We work with many health insurance companies throughout the world. If you have insurance, we would ask that you provide us with a copy of the front and the back of your insurance card when you call to request an appointment.
We will contact your insurance company to confirm benefit eligibility and gain authorization. If Kennedy Krieger is not a participant with your insurance plan, you might have to pay for the services upfront, then submit a request for reimbursement directly to your insurance company.
Please note that you will be responsible for any co-pay, deductible and/or coinsurance amounts, in addition to the cost of services denied by the insurance company. Payment must be made in full before we can begin services.
Embassy-sponsored patients do not need to make an advance deposit, a Letter of Authorization from your embassy must be obtained prior to your appointment date.
Requesting an Appointment:
Once you submit an Appointment Request Form, a representative from our International Care Management office will contact you within two business days to help you through the following steps:
- Complete the appropriate patient intake questionnaire: This questionnaire helps us make your experience as easy as possible. Be sure to send your completed form with a copy of your current medical records (records must be in English).
- Send Medical Report, Films and Pathology Slides: Please provide your medical records in English, and include with them your current diagnosis, results of any diagnostic tests (radiological and pathology studies), films (X-ray, MRI, CT scan, ultrasound) and a description of current treatment plan. Please send your medical records to the following address:
Kennedy Krieger International Office
707 North Broadway Room 232-0
Baltimore, MD 21205
Be sure to include clearly written instructions regarding how we may contact you (i.e., via e-mail, telephone or fax).
- Receive Your Appointment Confirmation: Once we have received your appointment request form and medical records, we will communicate our recommendations and schedule an appointment for you with the most appropriate physician and/or clinical program.
- Accommodation, Finance and Other Services: Once your appointment is confirmed, we will assist you with all arrangements related to your visit, such as financial information, language interpretation, accommodations, transportation and more.
For More Information:
If you have questions or concerns at any time during the process, we encourage you to contact us at (443) 923-9413, (443) 923-584, or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to making your visit as comfortable as possible.