Traveling thousands of miles to give your child access to the best medical care is a challenge. To make your journey easier, the Kennedy Krieger Institute helps coordinate the many services necessary to receive medical care for your child, including assistance with interpreters, financial arrangements, accommodations, travel and visa issues.
For access to these services, please call our International Care Management Office at (888) 554-2080.
Kennedy Krieger School Programs offer a range of educational programs and services for children ages 5-21 with mild to severe special education needs:Contact (443) 923-7800 (Extension: 37780) for details.
Appointments or Second Opinions:
To make an appointment, or to seek a second opinion from a specialist at the Kennedy Krieger Institute, you may:
- Download and complete an Inquiry Form, and an international care coordinator will contact you.
- Call (888) 554-2080 to speak to one of our international care coordinators.
Our International Care Management office will be glad to assist you in the financial process for receiving medical care. Our helpful, knowledgeable staff can help you prepare estimates, understand your bill, verify insurance/embassy coverage and collect payments. For detailed information about payment options, see the information below.
After your appointment has been made and confirmed, you will receive a letter detailing the appointment and an estimated cost of the services that we have scheduled. In order to guarantee your appointment(s), you must complete and sign a credit card authorization form before you arrive. We cannot guarantee your appointments without it.
If it is determined that additional appointments need to be scheduled during your visit, you will receive a detailed cost estimate for these additional services as well. We must receive a deposit of the full amount of the estimated cost before we can begin any services. While we try to be as accurate as possible in the estimate, the actual charges can sometimes vary from the original estimate. However, prior to incurring any additional charges, we will let you know.
A final statement will be sent upon the completion of your child's treatment.
Methods of Payment:
For your convenience, Kennedy Krieger accepts the following methods of payment:
- American Express
- Discover Card
- U.S. checks
- Wire transfers
Patients with Insurance:
We work with many health insurance companies throughout the world. If you have insurance, we would ask that you provide us with a copy of the front and the back of your insurance card when you call to request an appointment.
We will contact your insurance company to confirm benefit eligibility and gain authorization. If Kennedy Krieger is not a participant with your insurance plan, you might have to pay for the services upfront, then submit a request for reimbursement directly to your insurance company.
Please note that you will be responsible for any co-pay, deductible and/or coinsurance amounts, in addition to the cost of services denied by the insurance company. Payment must be made in full before we can begin services.
Embassy-sponsored patients do not need to make an advance deposit, however, you must provide a letter of authorization from your embassy prior to your appointment date.
Requesting an Appointment:
Once you submit an Inquiry Form, a representative from our International Care Management office will contact you within two business days to help you through the following steps:
- Complete an Appointment Request Form: The appointment request form helps us make your experience as easy as possible. Be sure to send your completed form with a copy of your current medical records and insurance card, if applicable.
- Send Medical Report, Films and Pathology Slides: Please provide your medical records in English, and include with them your current diagnosis, results of any diagnostic tests (radiological and pathology studies), films (X-ray, MRI, CT scan, ultrasound) and a description of current treatment plan. Please send your medical records to the following address:
Kennedy Krieger International OfficeBe sure to include clearly written instructions regarding how we may contact you (i.e., via e-mail, telephone or fax).
707 North Broadway
Baltimore, MD 21205
- Receive Your Appointment Confirmation: Once we have received your appointment request form and medical records, we will schedule an appointment for you with the most appropriate physician and/or clinical program.
- Accommodation, Finance and Other Services: Once your appointment is confirmed, we will assist you with all arrangements related to your visit, such as financial information, language interpretation, accommodations, transportation and more.
For More Information:
If you have questions or concerns at any time during the process, we encourage you to contact us at (888) 554-2080, or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to making your visit as comfortable as possible.