Each MR scan room has been optimally designed for fMRI with attention to RF shielding, stimulus and response interface and environmental control:
- Optimum radio-frequency (RF) shielding: Soldered, monolithic copper shielding with air-sealed door is used to provide maximum protection from outside RF interference sources with long-term reliability. The rooms exceed the manufacturers specification for RF attentuation by as much as 30 dB.
- Two lab penetration panels with a variety of waveguides and filtered connectors provide the means to interface devices between the scan rooom and outside areas without compromising the RF shield. No RF-producing equipment is used in the scan rooms without proper shielding.
- 3T Scanners: The scan rooms are lined with layers of silicon steel sheet to reduce the influence of low frequency magnetic fields on imaging.
- 7T Scanner: A 400 metric tonne magnetic shield is used to limit the stray field generated by the magnet. The shield forms a six sided box encompassing most of the scan room varying in thickness from 8 to 16 inches.
- Air conditioning and power conditioning: Humidity and temperature in the scan rooms is controlled and monitored by dedicated equipment. 7T scanner's power is supplied by a dedicated uninterruptable power system (UPS) providing stable power condition and battery backup operation during brownouts or total power loss.