On November 9, the Maryland Center for Developmental Disabilities (MCDD) sponsored a webinar, “Interdisciplinary Approaches to Address Sexual Health Education Across Disabilities and the Lifespan.”
Maureen van Stone, Esq., MS, director of the MCDD, acted as host, introducing the speakers and providing history on the sexual health workgroup at Kennedy Krieger Institute.
In addition to van Stone, speakers included:
- Barbara Obst, MSEd, BSN, RN, NCSN, SHNIC coordinator
- Stacey Herman, MSEd, CESP, director of Meaningful Community Services
- Brian Wagner, MS, BCBA, LBA, special education teacher, Department of Physical Education and Health at Kennedy Krieger High School
- Paula Reber, MEd, RN, CRRN, CRRN staff educator, Pediatric Rehabilitation Unit
- Effie Mougianis, PhD, Specialized Transition Program
Obst provided resources related to a sexual health curriculum for neurodiverse individuals. Herman reflected on every person’s desire for meaningful relationships, love and approval. Wagner provided multiple curricula followed at Kennedy Krieger High School. Reber focused on several rehabilitation resources, with specific suggestions for males with spinal cord injuries. Mougianis shared numerous resources regarding gender identity and expression, and she stressed the need for providers to create a safe environment for LGBTQ+ youth. Resources provided in the webinar are on the Resource Finder website under Health and Wellness; scroll down to the Sexual Health and Wellness Resources tab.