The TFC program recognizes that our foster families are the most important members of a team dedicated to the safety and well-being of children with exceptional needs.
To ensure that our foster families have the support they need, the program provides:
- Staff available 24 hours/day: Clinical social workers are available by pager for support and consultation 24 hours/day.
- Monthly support and training groups: These support groups provide foster parents with an opportunity to enhance knowledge and skills and gain encouragement and support from one another. Meetings are held from 6:30 PM - 8 PM at the Therapeutic Foster Care location on Tudsbury Road. See calendar for all support group meeting dates.
- Specialized Training: Foster parents receive 24 hours of pre-service training and child-specific training on caring for children with disabilities.
- Respite Care - Foster parents are encouraged to take advantage of respite care which allows for vacation and time off from the daily responsibilities of taking care of a child with special needs.
- Contact with staff: A clinical social worker will be assigned to your family. He/she will meet with you in person at least twice a month or as often as needed and will be available by phone.
- Monthly, non-taxable income: Foster parents receive a tax-free stipend plus room and board payment to cover a child’s expenses.
Learn the Seven Steps to Becoming a KKI Foster Care, Adoption or Respite Parent