Training experiences in speech language pathology are available for individuals applying for a Clinical Fellowship Year (CFY, Post-Masters). Clinical Fellows in speech-language pathology receive support and supervision to meet eligibility requirements for the Certificate in Clinical Competence (CCC) through the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA). They also complete requirements to obtain a full license in speech-language pathology granted by the Maryland Board of Examiners for Audiologists, Hearing-Aid Dispensers and Speech-Language Pathologists.
Graduate students are welcome to apply for externship opportunities in either the first or second semester of their second year of graduate school. Typically placements are competitive with multiple students applying for the same externship placement. Students are expected to submit their application materials for review with interviews scheduled with the program(s) they are interested in. These interviews are generally completed 2-3 months before the intended placement. We have a centralized intake process for all graduate student externships across Kennedy Krieger Institute who helps coordinate the process.
After students have been selected for graduate externship placements, we must ensure that we have an appropriate, current contract with colleges and universities. Supervisors will also contact students’ graduate school externship coordinators to make sure that all university and ASHA documentation is completed as part of the externship experience.
Approximately 80% of Clinical Fellows’ and graduate students’ time is spent in delivering clinical services including speech-language evaluations and treatment, although the proportion of each depends on the program and setting. The remaining 20% of time involves participating in educational and interdisciplinary experiences.
Opportunities for graduate students and Clinical Fellows vary year to year. The following programs and sites may offer opportunities:
- Outpatient Speech-Language Department
- Center for Autism and Related Disorders (CARD)
- Fairmount Rehabilitation Program
- Rehabilitation Programs at Columbia
Kennedy Krieger School Programs:
- Kennedy Krieger School: Fairmount Campus
- Kennedy Krieger School: Greenspring Campus
- Private-Public Partnership Program
Supervision and Evaluation:
Advanced graduate students and Clinical Fellows receive on-going supervision as part of their training and experience at Kennedy Krieger Institute. Supervision for graduate students and Clinical Fellows in Speech Language Pathology follows guidelines established by the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA) and the State of Maryland Board of Audiologists, Hearing Aid Dispensers, and Speech-Language Pathologists guidelines. The Board’s requirements clearly states that a Clinical Fellow will receive a minimum of four hours of direct supervision each month. Direct supervision is defined as observation of the CF with a patient or student. A minimum of two hours of indirect supervision are provided each month. Indirect supervision is defined as meeting with the supervisor, observation of the CF in meetings or discussions, or other learning opportunities.
During the course of the Clinical Fellowship Year (CFY), the supervisor and Clinical Fellow meet formally every three months to discuss the CF’s performance as rated on the ASHA Clinical Fellowship Skills Inventory (CFSI). To complete a Clinical Fellowship Year, a CF’s performance must be rated as “3” or higher (on a scale from 1-5 with “1” being the lowest and “5” being the highest) in all areas on the CFSI to recommend the CF for the Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC).
Given the large number of candidates who apply each year, Clinical Fellows are strongly encouraged to apply early in the second semester of their 2nd year of graduate studies in order to be considered. To apply for a Clinical Fellowship, please visit the Kennedy Krieger Institute Careers page. Type in the keyword “speech” and apply for any listed Clinical Fellow position. The application will be reviewed by the Human Resources Talent Acquisition Partner. Following application review, the Speech-Language Recruiter will email the applicant to discuss programs of interest and to set up phone screening.