Status messageActive context: patient_care_menu
Sleep Disorders Clinic and Lab
Kennedy Krieger Institute • 801 North Broadway • Baltimore, MD 21205
Janet Lam, M.D.
Valerie Paasch, Ph.D.
Behavioral Psychology Director
About Our Program:
The Sleep Disorders Clinic provides care for children and young adults with sleep disorders. We have special expertise in working with individuals with neurodevelopmental disabilities or behavioral disorders. Our clinic is staffed by a child neurologist and behavioral psychologist experienced in sleep disorders, and offers a comprehensive evaluation and treatment plan. Sleep problems we evaluate include difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep, disruptive sleep-wake schedules, unusual behaviors during sleep and snoring or disordered breathing.
Who We Are
The Sleep Disorders Clinic combines medical and behavioral approaches in an outpatient setting for the comprehensive evaluation and treatment of children and young adults with sleep problems. For those who require further evaluation and testing, we also offer our Sleep Laboratory.
Who We Serve
We provide care for children and young adults with neurodevelopmental disabilities or behavioral disorders who also have difficulties with sleep. Sleep problems include:
- Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- Unusual behaviors during sleep
- Atypical sleep-wake cycles
- Sleep-related breathing disorders
- Disruptive sleep schedules
The range of disorders and disabilities we treat includes:
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Cerebral palsy
- Intellectual disability
- Down syndrome
- Neuromuscular disorders
Our evaluations and treatment services are provided by a range of experts in the following areas:
- Pediatric neurology with specialization in neurodevelopmental disabilities
- Behavioral psychology with specialization in working with children with medical conditions and/or sleep disorders
- Polysomnographic technology and EEG technology
Our Treatment Approach:
Our team evaluates and treats the many factors -- both behavioral and medical -- that can affect sleep. Our approach includes:
- Testing and Evaluation: Every child receives an initial evaluation or consultation that includes a sleep-focused history, physical and neurological examination, as well as a review of relevant records, sleep questionnaires and diaries, and prior sleep studies.
- Recommendations and Referrals: After we identify the areas of sleep difficulty, we may recommend additional testing, such as an overnight sleep study. We will also develop comprehensive medical treatment and behavioral management approaches. For some patients, such as those with ongoing behavioral management needs or sleep-related breathing disorders, we can make referrals to other clinics or programs when needed.
- Follow-Up: We typically recommend clinic follow up to assess the effectiveness of treatment recommendations. It is important that patients who recieve medication treatment come back for periodic appointments so that we can monitor and review the effects of any medication.
The Sleep Laboratory:
We offer sleep laboratory services to children and young adults in a child-friendly setting. We can provide further study and evaluation services, including overnight polysomnogram (PSG) -- a recording made during sleep to evaluate sleep disorders, as well as:
- Multiple Sleep Latency Test (MSLT): A nap study used to determine how quickly the child will fall asleep in quiet situations during the day.
- Overnight EEG with Video Monitoring: While this test is offered to children both with and without disabilities, the lab specializes in evaluating children with communication and behavioral issues.
Hours of Operation:
Monday and Friday
8:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Phone: (443) 923-9170
Local Referral: (443) 923-9400
Toll-Free Referral: (800) 554-2080
- Patient Care Overview
- Diagnoses & Disorders
- Concerns & Symptoms
- Find a Specialist
- Patient Care Programs
- Patient Care Centers
- Departments & Medical Specialties
- Patient Care Laboratories
- Faculty & Staff
- For Patients & Families
- For Health Care Professionals
- Request an Appointment
- Online Bill Pay
Appointments & Referrals
Primary Diagnoses Served
News & Updates
FIND A SPECIALIST
Read inspiring stories, news and updates about the Institute's patient care, research, special education, professional training, and community programs.
A free resource that provides access to information and support for individuals and families living with developmental disabilities.