The Orthopedic Outpatient Program at Kennedy Krieger Institute focuses on musculoskeletal diseases, injuries and other conditions that affect the trunk, back and the upper and lower extremities.
Our program provides outpatient evaluation, treatment, and comprehensive interdisciplinary care for individuals with a wide range of complex orthopedic conditions.
Our services include:
- Diagnostic assessment of orthopedic problems
- Ongoing treatment and follow-up of orthopedic issues
- Casting and bracing needs
- Evaluation for surgical interventions
- Post-operative management
Who We Serve:
We treat patients with impaired trunk or upper or lower extremity function due to neuromuscular disorders, soft tissue conditions, or orthopedic conditions.
The most common conditions and concerns that we treat include:
- Abnormal gait
- Cerebral palsy
- Congenital disorders
- Contracture deformities
- Developmental delay
- Foot disorders due to neuromuscular conditions
- Genetic disorders
- Limb length discrepancy
- Osteogenesis imperfecta
- Spine disorders due to neuromuscular conditions
- Spina bifida
- Torsional disorders
Our goal is to help patients improve function and minimize the long-term complications associated with spasticity and growth. We conduct an initial comprehensive evaluation and develop a customized treatment and therapy program for each patient.
Interventions may include:
- Aquatic therapy
- Botulinum toxin injections
- Equipment and bracing needs
- Occupational therapy
- Oral and intrathecal baclofen treatment
- Orthotic assessment, fabrication, and fitting
- Physical therapy
- Serial casting to gradually increase range of motion
- Splinting programs to manage muscle tone
- Specialized state-of-the-art equipment and techniques, including robotics, neuromuscular electrical stimulation, and treadmill training.
Surgical interventions vary depending on the degree of impairment and the potential for recovery. Our orthopedic experts combine operative care with intensive post-operative physical and occupational therapy to maximize surgical outcomes and rehabilitation benefits. When appropriate, single event multilevel surgeries are recommended.
Some of the most common procedures include:
- Soft tissue and muscle releases for contractures
- Spine surgery for scoliosis
- Hand surgery
- Hip and other bone reconstructive surgery
Kennedy Krieger Institute recognizes and respects the rights of patients and their families and treats them with courtesy and dignity. Care is provided in a manner that preserves cultural, psychosocial, spiritual and personal values, beliefs, and preferences. We encourage patients and families to become active partners in their care by asking questions, requesting resources, and advocating for the services and support they need.
Our interdisciplinary team approach provides individualized treatment designed to meet the specific needs of each patient. This close collaboration helps ensure coordination of care and convenience for families. Our team is staffed by highly skilled professionals, including:
- Orthopedic surgeons
- Physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians
- Physical and occupational therapists
- Nurse practitioners and nurses
We also work closely with other specialties, including:
- Assistive technology
- Child life
- Endocrinology and bone health
- Hearing and speech
- Interpreter services
- Neurodevelopmental pediatrics
- Seating specialists
- Social work