The MCHC/RISE-UP Program provides opportunities for enhanced public health leadership training in the area of maternal and child health focusing on social determinants of health, elimination of health disparities, and developmental disabilities. Grant funding for this program was awarded to Kennedy Krieger Institute by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to develop a national consortium of institutions and universities that provides undergraduate scholars with three public health leadership experiences: (1) clinical, (2) research, and (3) community engagement and advocacy.
The consortium was built on the Leadership Education and Neurodevelopmental Disabilities (LEND) and University Centers for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities (UCEDD) training framework and includes:
- Kennedy Krieger Institute partnering with the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, School of Nursing, Bloomberg School of Public Health, and Historically Black Colleges and Universities
- University of South Dakota partnering with Tribal Serving Institutions
- University of California, Davis (UC-Davis) MIND Institute partnering with UC-Davis Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
MCHC/RISE-UP’s ultimate goal is to promote a more equitable health system by introducing highly qualified diverse undergraduate and recent baccalaureate degree scholars (undergraduate juniors, seniors, and scholars who received their baccalaureate degree within 12 months of MCHC/RISE-UP program orientation), who have at least a 2.7 GPA on a 4.0 scale, to the field of public health.
All scholars interested in maternal and child health, reducing health disparities and promoting social justice, especially scholars from underrepresented populations in the field of public health, are strongly encouraged to apply.
Scholars should select the Consortium partner site location that is closest to their permanent residence:
- Kennedy Krieger Institute/Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD
- University of South Dakota/Sanford School of Medicine Center for Disabilities in Sioux Falls, SD
- University of California in Davis, CA