The Child Life and Therapeutic Recreation Department has combined the expertise of these two professional groups and produced a comprehensive program which provides services that contribute to improving the patient’s psychosocial, recreational and developmental abilities. 

Child Life and Therapeutic Recreation Department Programs

Child Life: Child life specialists help patients and families facilitate coping with and adjustment to illness/injury and hospitalization. The program focuses on emotional support, education on medical procedures and conditions, and enhancement of developmental skills through therapeutic play. Child life services are available to inpatients on the pediatric rehabilitation unit and pediatric feeding disorders unit, as well as multiple outpatient clinics in the 801 N. Broadway building. Learn more.

Therapeutic Recreation: Therapeutic recreation specialists provide individualized therapy for patients requiring intervention for the effects of a traumatic illness or condition. The specialists facilitate the patients' involvement in structured one-on-one, group and/or community activities that focus on individualized treatment goals.

Music Therapy: The music therapist uses singing, songwriting, playing instruments, and other musical experiences to address treatment goals for patients during individual and group therapy sessions.

Careers in Child Life and Therapeutic Recreation

Looking for a career in the Child Life and Therapeutic Recreation Department? Visit our careers page by clicking the button below.


Child Life Pre-Internship Experience

We are seeking students for our Fall 2023 Child Life pre-internship experience! For inquiries and to receive an application, please email

Therapeutic Recreation Internship Experience

We are seeking students for our Summer 2024 Therapeutic Recreation Internship! Please email to receive our internship application. Applicants must submit their application and all other required documents by January 24, 2024.

To learn more information about our therapeutic recreation internship experience, click here!

Professional Certifying Organizations

  • Association of Child Life Professionals (ACLP)
  • National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC)
  • Certification Board for Music Therapists


  • Certified Child Life Specialists (CCLS)
  • Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialists (CTRS)
  • Certification Board for Music Therapists (BC-MT)

Professional Training Opportunities

Therapeutic Recreation and Child Life practicums and internships are available to students pursuing a degree in Therapeutic Recreation or Child Life. Students will have an opportunity to work with infants, children and adolescents in an inpatient pediatric rehabilitation hospital. Interested students should click the appropriate link below to request an application. If you have questions, feel free to reach out to our department and/or add them in your request. 

Contact Therapeutic Recreation    Contact Child Life