- 10.5-week summer program that begins Monday, May 27, 2024, and concludes Friday, July 26, 2024.
- One-Week Summer Program Orientation– Monday, May 27, 2024—Friday, May 31, 2024
Orientation Week: The program begins with Orientation for ALL scholars from Monday, May 27, 2024, through Friday, May 31, 2024.
Following Orientation, scholars will begin their RISE-UP experience on Monday, June 3, 2024, and conclude on Friday, July 26, 2024 for the summer. Scholars ill attend the CDC Showcase in Atlanta, GA on July 28, 2024 through July 31, 2024.
ALL scholars participate in Friday Professional Development and Advocacy and CDC Winnable Battles seminars.
Each scholar participates in a public health leadership research experience. Public health experiences offered to scholars include:
Students work with research mentors on a wide range of public health, prevention, treatment, and epidemiological studies. Students receive training in community-based participatory research, which engages communities that are currently underserved by mainstream systems. In addition, scholars may participate in Community Engagement and Advocacy Experience and rotate through Clinical Experiences.
- A $3,500 stipend is provided for Kennedy Krieger Institute, the University of South Dakota, and Aaniiih Nakoda College (10.5 weeks), and $3,000 for the University of California (9-week) program participants.
- Education and career mentorship
- Presentation at CDC Showcase in Atlanta, GA
To be considered for acceptance into this program, the applicant must:
- Be currently enrolled as a rising junior or senior or received their baccalaureate degree within 12 calendar months of the MCHC/RISE-UP program orientation
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.7 or better on a 4.0 scale
- Be a US citizen, US National, permanent resident
- Be able to commit to participate in program activities for the length of the MCHC/RISE-UP.
All 2024 Center for Diversity programs, including the RISE-UP program, are anticipated will be in person. The status of the programs and fellowships is subject to change based on the status of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Please visit the Center for Diversity website and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for up-to-date information on program modifications.
All activities are subject to the availability of federal funds.
For More Information:
For additional program information, please contact MCHC-RISE-UP@KennedyKrieger.org.