Our patients’ health and safety are of the utmost importance to us. We want you to have all the information you need in order to ensure safety during the hospital stay. We encourage you to take an active role in your family member’s healthcare, and to talk with your nurse about ways to keep your family member safe. Please follow hospital rules regarding patient care, conduct, and safety, and please respect the rights of other patients and hospital personnel.
Here are a few ways we can work together:
- Patient ID band must be worn at all times.
- Please sign the logbook located at the nurse’s station, and inform your nurse before leaving and upon returning to the unit.
- Staff members will always check the patient’s ID band before any procedures or administering medications. Talk to the patient’s treatment team and familiarize yourself with his or her medication schedule and medical equipment.
- Make sure that everyone washes their hands before any contact with the patient. Hand hygiene stations are available throughout the Institute.
- Prevent injuries and falls by:
- Keeping bed rails up at all times
- Keeping walkways clear
- Making sure wheelchair brakes are locked when transferring patients and when patients are stationary
- Ensuring that side rails on occupied stretchers are in an upright position
- Not standing on beds or chairs, or in tubs
- Wearing shoes at all times
- Please follow the treatment plan recommended for the patient by the medical team and request clarification about anything that is unclear.
- Please adhere to our non-smoking/tobacco/electronic cigarette policy. Smoking or use of tobacco or electronic cigarettes is not allowed anywhere on the Kennedy Krieger campus.
- Please refrain from using inappropriate language, which includes cursing and any other type of verbally abusive language.
- Please provide an updated list to the nursing staff of those people allowed to visit the patient.
- Please do not include other people in your personal photos and videos without their permission.
- If you have any concerns about patient safety, please contact the nurse manager at (443) 923-9433.