Brain injury can mean a lot of things. It generally means an injury to the brain that causes problems in one or more areas of function. Some of these areas include thinking, attention, memory, impulse control, processing, speech and language, motor abilities, physical functioning, and behavior.
A brain injury can be caused by a trauma, loss of oxygen, stroke, toxic exposure, tumors, infection, or brain surgery. The impact can be subtle or mild to significant, and may result in short-term or long-term impairment.
Examples, Synonyms for Brain Injury:
- Traumatic Brain Injury (and Concussion)
- Acquired Brain Injury
- Infections (encephalitis, meningitis)
- Demyelenating processes (ADEM, Multiple Sclerosis)
- Brain Injury from CNS Tumor
- Brain Injury from neurosurgical intervention