MCDD News & Updates
NOVEMBER 14, 2014
Project HEAL helps families navigate the disabilities maze
Project HEAL’s 2014 Outstanding Partners
Project HEAL recognizes the Baltimore office of Ballard Spahr, LLP and Ron Howard and Associates of RE/MAX Preferred for their exceptional generosity and support in 2014.
Resource Finder at Kennedy Krieger Institute
A free resource that provides access to information and support for individuals and families living with developmental disabilities.
Project HEAL (Health, Education, Advocacy, and Law) at Kennedy Krieger Institute
Project HEAL is Maryland’s only comprehensive medical-legal partnership. A community-based program of the Maryland Center for Developmental Disabilities (MCDD) at Kennedy Krieger Institute, Project HEAL provides comprehensive advocacy and legal services for children with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families. Project HEAL attorneys collaborate with Kennedy Krieger health care professionals and trainees to ensure that patients receive the medical and legal care they need.
Advocacy and Legal Services
- Representation: special education matters, Supplemental Security Income appeals, and simple family law matters.
- Limited representation: brief advice, document review, referrals, information, and resources.
- Case consultations: advice to Kennedy Krieger healthcare professionals, trainees, and educators.
- Pro bono referrals: Ober|Kaler, Ballard Spahr, LLP, and nonprofit legal services organizations.
- Professional trainings: for healthcare professionals, trainees, and educators.
- Community trainings: for children, families, service providers, and outside agencies.
Project HEAL provides legal services for patients at Kennedy Krieger Institute with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families, if they meet the income eligibility requirements and have a civil legal issue requiring an attorney. Fees are determined based on a sliding scale. Written proofs of income and advance payment are required. For income eligibility guidelines and fees, contact Project HEAL at (443) 923-4414.
Maureen van Stone, Esq., M.S.
Director, Project HEAL
716 N. Broadway, Office 106
Baltimore, MD 21205
Tel: (443) 923-4416
Fax: (443) 923-4417
Mallory Finn, J.D.
716 N. Broadway, Office 111
Baltimore, MD 21205
Tel: (443) 923-9571
Fax: (443) 923-9581
Honors & Awards
Project HEAL and its leadership have been recognized throughout Maryland for their outstanding service to the community.
- Maureen van Stone, Honoree, 2014, VIP List, The Daily Record
- Maureen van Stone, Honoree, 2014, Distinguished Alumni Service Award, Whittier Law School
- Maureen van Stone, Honoree, 2013, Top 100 Women, The Daily Record
- Maureen van Stone, Graduate, 2012, Leadership Maryland
- Maureen van Stone, Honoree, 2012, Leadership in Law, The Daily Record
- Project HEAL, Program of Excellence, 2012, Jackson Healthcare Charitable Services Awards Program
- Maureen van Stone, Honoree, 2011, Leading Women, The Daily Record
- Maureen van Stone, Professional of the Year, 2008, The Arc Baltimore
- Maureen van Stone, Outstanding Advocacy Award, 2008 & 2006, CityWide Special Education Advocacy Project, Inc.