News & Updates
Potential magazine informs readers about the latest institute news and advances in research, patient care, special education, and community programs.
Find A Specialist
Resource Finder at Kennedy Krieger Institute
A free resource that provides access to information and support for individuals and families living with developmental disabilities.
International Adoption Clinic
Kennedy Krieger Institute • 801 North Broadway • Baltimore, MD 21205
About Our Program:
The International Adoption Clinic of Kennedy Krieger Institute and Johns Hopkins Children's Center offers pre- and post-adoption services to families who are adopting a child either internationally or domestically. The services are designed to augment the care provided by the child's primary health care provider.
Pre-adoption services include:
- Medical history review
- Videotape review
- Information about child's country of origin and common health problems
- Referral to the Johns Hopkins travel medicine service
- Medical travel kit
Post-adoption services include:
- Developmental assessment
- Comprehensive medical assessment
- Laboratory evaluation and immunizations, as needed
- Referrals to subspecialty medical or psychological services, as needed
- Liaison with the child's primary health care provider
Professionals at Kennedy Krieger Institute and the Johns Hopkins Children's Center provide care via a coordinated, multidisciplinary approach. They tailor the child's care to the needs of the child, family and primary health care provider.
Primary Program Goals:
- To prepare family for care of newly-adopted child, including adjustment to adoption
- To identify, pre-adoption, potential areas of medical/developmental concern
- To provide consultative assistance to child's primary health care provider
- To assess, post-adoption, child's developmental level
- To coordinate, post-adoption, medical evaluation and preventive care
- To identify/coordinate needed subspecialty services/care
- To make referrals for appropriate resources geared to specific needs of the child/family
Hours of Operation:
- Developmental Assessment: Tuesdays and Fridays, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Comprehensive Medical Assessment: Fridays, 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
- Videotape Reviews: Performed within 24-72 hours of request
To make a referral or request an initial evaluation:
Contact our Care Management Office
Toll-Free Referral: (888) 554-2080
Local Referral: (443) 923-9402
For follow-up appointments:
Phone: (443) 923-9402
Fax: (443) 923-9405