Status message

Active context: kki_bg_colors_yellow

Speech and Language Postmasters Training: Training Experiences

Training experiences in speech language pathology are available for individuals applying for a Clinical Fellowship Year (CFY, Post-Masters). Clinical Fellows in speech-language pathology receive support and supervision to meet eligibility requirements for the Certificate in Clinical Competence (CCC) through the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA). They also complete requirements to obtain a full license in speech-language pathology granted by the Maryland Board of Examiners for Audiologists, Hearing-Aid Dispensers and Speech-Language Pathologists.

Approximately 80% of Clinical Fellows’ and graduate students’ time is spent in delivering clinical services including speech-language evaluations and treatment. The remaining 20% of time involves participating in educational and interdisciplinary experiences.

Opportunities for graduate students and Clinical Fellows may be available in the following programs and sites:


Outpatient programs:

Community programs:

Kennedy Krieger School programs:

Supervision and Evaluation

Advanced graduate students and Clinical Fellows receive on-going supervision as part of their training and experience at Kennedy Krieger Institute. Supervision for Clinical Fellows in Speech Language Pathology follows guidelines established by the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA) and the State of Maryland Board of Audiologists, Hearing Aid Dispensers, and Speech-Language Pathologists guidelines. These requirements clearly state that a Clinical Fellow will receive a minimum of four hours of direct supervision each month. Direct supervision is defined as observation of the CF with a patient or student. A minimum of two hours of indirect supervision are provided each month. Indirect supervision is defined as meeting with the supervisor, observation of the CF in meetings or discussions, or other learning opportunities.

During the course of the Clinical Fellowship Year (CFY), the supervisor and Clinical Fellow meet formally every three months to discuss the CF’s performance as rated on the Clinical Fellowship Skills Inventory (CFSI), as required by ASHA. To complete a Clinical Fellowship Year, a CF’s performance must be rated as “3” or higher (on a scale from 1-5 with “1” being the lowest and “5” being the highest) in all areas on the CFSI to recommend the CF for Certification.

Given the large number of candidates who apply each year, Clinical Fellows are strongly encouraged to apply early in their 2nd year of graduate studies in order to be considered. To apply for a Clinical Fellowship, please visit the Kennedy Krieger Institute Careers page. Type in the keyword “speech” and apply for any listed Clinical Fellow position. The application will be reviewed by the Human Resources Talent Acquisition Partner. Following application review, the Speech-Language Recruiter will email the applicant to discuss programs of interest and to set up phone screening. For questions regarding Clinical Fellowships, please contact Melissa Wells (443) 923-5812 or email