Status messageActive context: kki_bg_colors_yellow
CARE Research Project: Pediatric Neurology
Title of Research Project: Study of White Matter Development in Childhood Neurologic Diseases
Name of Investigator(s): S. Ali Fatemi, MD
Brief Description of Summary Research, including Goals and Objectives:
Childhood leukoencephalopathies are a heterogeneous group of disease affecting the central nervous system white matter and as a group are a common cause of neurologic disability in infants and children. The student’s mentor is a pediatric neurologist and neurogeneticist at the Kennedy Krieger Institute with clinical and research expertise in leukoencephalopathies that affect newborns and young infants, while his lab studies the development of white matter in rodent models of these diseases.
It is thought that ischemic, inflammatory, or toxic-metabolic insults in the immature brain can lead to abnormal oligodendrocyte development and resulting abnormal myelination, however, there is increasing evidence that the injury will also affect axonal development. Recently developed high-resolution in-vivo magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) techniques allow assessment of white matter integrity. The objective the student research are to employ advanced MRI techniques and histological methods to better understand the involvement of white matter in animal models of leukoencephalopathies and in pediatric patients with this group of diseases.
Scope of Duties for Research Student:
The trainee will be trained and then be involved in:
- Diffusion tensor imaging data analysis
- Postmortem brain sectioning
- Histological and immunohistochemical techniques
- Developmental neuroscience
A minimum of 5 hours per week of commitment is required.
Level of Student Education and Major/Discipline Desired:
Neuroscience, Biology and PreMed undergrads, or medical students.
- Professional Training Overview
- Professional Training Programs
- Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)
- Clinical and Research Experience (CARE) Program
- CARE Research Project: Autism
- CARE Research Project: Center for Genetic Disorders of Cognition and Behavior
- CARE Research Project: Early Detection of and Early Intervention for Autism Spectrum Disorders
- CARE Research Project: Molecular Mediators of Neonatal Brain Injury, Neurotoxicity and Cell Death and Neuroprotection
- CARE Research Project: Pediatric Neurology
- CARE Research Project: Sturge-Weber Syndrome (SWS) Neurological Research and Ischemic Injury in the Immature Brain
- Maryland Center for Developmental Disabilities
- Maternal and Child Health Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental and Other Related Disabilities (LEND) Program
- Center for Diversity in Public Health Leadership Training
- Training Disciplines
- Professional Training Faculty
- Training Affiliations
- Training, Technical Assistance, Dissemination