Status messageActive context: patient_care_menu
Convenient Christmas Crafts and Baking
Convenient Christmas Crafting Tools
As the holidays are in full swing here are a few tools to make cutting easier during craft time.
|Paper Trimmer||Table Mounted Scissors|
Cookie making or making salt dough cut outs are a great activity for encouraging two-hand use. Here are some things to focus on while you use two hands.
- Stir with a spoon with the dominant hand. The affected hand can hold the bowl.
- Try different hand positions on the bowl to find the one that is most effective (hugging the bowl, putting the affected hand on top, holding the side of the bowl etc.)
- Try holding the bowl farther away from the trunk for more of a challenge.
- When rolling dough try holding the rolling pin with both hands. If the affected hand slips off the rolling pin, think about adding some slip-resistant material or wrapping it in Coban.
- When pressing the cut outs, push down with two hands.
Below is a simple recipe for Salt Dough.
Salt Dough Recipe
1/2 cup of salt
1/2 cup of water
1 cup of flour
Mix all ingredients in a bowl with a spoon. Form dough into a ball, roll it out and use cookie cutters to cut out shapes. If you would like to hang your creations, use a straw or toothpick to poke a hole at the top. Let forms air dry for 1-2 days before painting or decorating.
- Patient Care Overview
- Diagnoses & Disorders
- Concerns & Symptoms
- Find a Specialist
- Patient Care Programs
- Patient Care Centers
- Departments & Medical Specialties
- Patient Care Laboratories
- Faculty & Staff
- For Patients & Families
- For Health Care Professionals
- Request an Appointment
- Online Bill Pay
Appointments & Referrals
Helping Hands: Constraint Induced Movement Therapy (CIMT) Blog
CIBT Hemiplegia Survey
WE NEED YOUR INPUT
We would like to make sure that we are meeting the needs of our families and children with hemiplegia.
In order to do that, we need your feedback. Please complete this brief, 10-question survey about services and resources available to you and your child.
News & Updates
FIND A SPECIALIST
Read inspiring stories, news and updates about the Institute's patient care, research, special education, professional training, and community programs.
A free resource that provides access to information and support for individuals and families living with developmental disabilities.