Spotlight on Special Needs: A Podcast Series from Kennedy Krieger Institute
Autism Divorce Rate Debunked
Having a child with autism can put stress on the parents' marriage, and a frequently cited statistic leads to a common perception that the divorce rate among these families is as high as 80 percent. But Dr. Brian Freedman, clinical director of the Center for Autism and Related Disorders at Kennedy Krieger Institute, and his team conducted a study revealing that a child's autism has no effect on the family structure.
Introducing the Center for Genetic Muscle Disorders
There are more than 30 inherited disorders of muscle, which are all marked by progressive wasting and weakness of muscle tissue. In this episode, Dr. Kathryn Wagner, director of Kennedy Krieger's new Center for Genetic Muscle Disorders, answers questions about genetic muscle disorders and what services the Center will provide. Dr. Wagner also discusses the Center's research efforts in the field of muscle disorders.
How Effective are Current Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Diagnostic Guidelines?
Over the past two decades, knowledge about autism spectrum disorder (ASD) has grown to incorporate new findings on clinical presentation and potential causes of ASD. However, this increase in information has left many clinicians unsatisfied with the guidelines used to identify and diagnose ASD. In this episode, Dr. Rebecca Rosenberg sheds light on the first published research based exclusively on data collected from the Interactive Autism Network, the national online autism registry at www.ianproject.org. Dr. Rosenberg explains how she worked with colleagues to examine the current diagnostic guidelines and identify trends in initial ASD diagnoses from 1994 — 2007.
New Cell Birth in the Brain of Newborn Mouse Model of Stroke
Because stroke in the brains of newborn infants is an important and under-studied cause of neurologic morbidity, researchers at the Kennedy Krieger Institute have previously developed a new mouse model of stroke that produces acute seizures and tissue death due to lack of blood supply in 12-day old mice. In the current episode, Dr. Anne Comi discusses the effect of this stroke on neural stem cell proliferation, at different time-points after injury, in two brain regions. Dr. Comi also provides insight on how this work is expected to lead to other studies to help better understand neurologic morbidity.
Introducing the Limb Differences Clinic
Approximately 60 percent of limb differences in a pediatric population are something the person was born with and the remaining 40 percent are as a result of disease or trauma. In this episode, Dr. Stacy Suskauer, co-director of the Kennedy Krieger Institute's Limb Differences Clinic, talks about the varied services the Clinic provides to children and adolescents, from prosthetics to rehabilitation and sports and vocational training.
Stay informed with the latest news and announcements from Kennedy Krieger.
Read inspiring stories, news and updates about the Institute's patient care, research, special education, professional training, and community programs.
A free resource that provides access to information and support for individuals and families living with developmental disabilities.