Who is treated in the Specialized Transition Program?

During fiscal year 2018*, 128 patients were treated by the Specialized Transition Program at Kennedy Krieger.

Below is the age breakdown of those patients:


Diagnoses Treated

The Specialized Transition Program treats children and adolescents who, collectively, have a variety of diagnoses.

Below is a breakdown of the most common diagnoses treated by the Specialized Transition Program:



Types of Patients Treated

The patients who come to the Specialized Transition Program have limitations in at least one of the following areas: communication (understanding and speaking), moving around, performing daily self-care activities, engaging in activities of daily living (doing chores, eating), and participating in home, school and community activities.

Interdisciplinary Treatment Team

Patients with a combination of limitations may have complex needs. An experienced interdisciplinary treatment team works with every patient and his or her family.  This team may include:


  • Behavioral psychologists
  • Educators
  • Neuropsychologists
  • Occupational therapists
  • Physical therapists
  • Psychiatrists
  • Registered nurses
  • Rehabilitation physicians
  • Speech/language pathologists

Where do patients live who are seen by the Specialized Transition Program?

During fiscal year 18*, 80 percent of patients admitted came from outside the state of Maryland, with the remaining 20% coming from outside Maryland, including some from other countries. 

How much therapy do patients receive who are being treated in the Specialized Transition Program?

School-aged patients in the Specialized Transition Program receive average of 3.4 hours of therapy five days a week, and preschool-aged children receive an average of 2.5 hours of therapy five days a week of intensive physical, occupational, speech-language pathology, social work, and/or psychology delivered by licensed/certified therapists. In addition, patients enrolled in their local educational program receive educational instruction and/or special education consultation and school re-integration assistance.

What happens if a patient gets sick or has a medical emergency while at Kennedy Krieger?

Kennedy Krieger has a Basic Life Support-certified physician and/or a nurse on-site at all times when the clinic is open, with the equipment and processes in place to respond to medical emergencies.  If a patient becomes more seriously ill, or has a medical emergency, care can be obtained at The John Hopkins Hospital Pediatric Emergency Department.    If needed, an ambulance will be called for emergency transportation.   

Occasionally, these more intensive medical needs require unplanned transfers to acute care.  In fiscal year 2018*, fewer than 1% of patients in the Specialized Transition Program required an unplanned transfer to an acute care setting.

How are patients and their families involved in the care received from the Specialized Transition Program?

No one knows a patient better than his or her family.  Kennedy Krieger providers are committed to incorporating family-centered care. The best way to care for a patient is to include his or her family in the patient’s healthcare team. Family members are encouraged to participate in treatment planning, goal setting, family meetings, and education and training sessions.

How long do most patients receive treatment from the Specialized Transition Program?

Treatment varies from one patient to another, based on their needs and goals. In fiscal year 2018*, the average patient stay was 24 days for patients in the Specialized Transition program.

What kinds of improvements might patients be expected to make while receiving treatment from the Specialized Transition Program?

  • 91 percent of patient goals set for the duration of admission were met
  • The majority of patient/caregivers who identified longer term goals also showed significant gains

What do patients and their families say about their experience at Kennedy Krieger Institute?

  • 100% of parents received support at Kennedy to help them cope with the impact of their child’s disability/condition
  • 97% of families found the family-centered rounds to be helpful
  • 96% of families would recommend Kennedy Krieger Institute to others

Patient Feedback

  • 96% of caregivers expressed the highest level of satisfaction with their child’s progress
  • 98% of caregivers expressed the highest level of overall satisfaction with their child’s program.

Does Kennedy Krieger have special accreditation?

Kennedy Krieger Institute is accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) and The Joint Commission. Every three years, both organizations review the Institute to ensure all its programs meet or exceed the very high standards it sets for the care of its patients.

*Fiscal year 2018 is the time frame from July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2018.