Strategies for Providing Social Role Models for Preschool Children with Autism: Lessons from the Model Inclusion Child Care Program at CARD
Kennedy Krieger Institute
3901 Greenspring Avenue
Third Floor, Large Conference Room
Baltimore, MD 21211
About the Event:
The Model Inclusion Child Care (MICC) program at the Center for Autism and Related Disorders (CARD) at Kennedy Krieger Institute is a full-day daycare and preschool program for typically developing children ages three to six. MICC provides a play-based curriculum that emphasizes communication, social development, and early academic and literacy skills. Children also spend part of their day serving as peer models for children with autism during their assigned Achievements therapeutic groups led by a certified speech-language pathologist.
This presentation will focus on the MICC program and its relationship with the Achievements program. Participants will look at the social and academic curriculum for this typical preschool classroom. They will also review successful strategies for supporting typically developing peers to be social role models for children with autism. The presenter for this event will be Diane Appel, BA, teacher in the MICC classroom.
This is a FREE training for parents, family members, and professionals.
For More Information:
You must register prior to attending this event. To register, please visit the event web site.
- Patient Care Overview
- Diagnoses & Disorders
- Concerns & Symptoms
- Find a Specialist
- Patient Care Programs
- Patient Care Centers
- Departments & Medical Specialties
- Patient Care Laboratories
- Faculty & Staff
- For Patients & Families
- For Health Care Professionals
- Request an Appointment
- Online Bill Pay
- Community Programs
- Child and Family Support Program
- Community Rehabilitation Program
- Family Center Community Programs
- Family Support Services
- Physically Challenged Sports & Recreation Program
- PACT: Specialized Child Care and Family Support
- Southeast Baltimore Early Headstart
- Specialized Health Needs Interagency Collaboration
- Therapeutic Foster Care
- Adaptive Sports Program
- Maryland Center for Developmental Disabilities
- Inspiring Stories
- Professional Training Overview
- Professional Training Programs
- Training Disciplines
- Professional Training Faculty
- Training Affiliations
- Training, Technical Assistance, Dissemination
Appointments & Referrals
News & Updates
FIND A SPECIALIST
Read inspiring stories, news and updates about the Institute's patient care, research, special education, professional training, and community programs.
A free resource that provides access to information and support for individuals and families living with developmental disabilities.