Traumatic Brain Injury
For many 12-year-olds, meeting a room full of strangers is intimidating. But not for Mark, who sees such occasions as new opportunities to win over a crowd. Once a promising young performer, Mark hasn't been able to sing, dance, or act since last summer, when he suffered a traumatic brain injury in a Jet-Ski accident. But true charisma knows no physical limitations. When Mark enters a room, he shines.
Not that Mark has given up. Each step in his recovery brings him closer to a return to the stage. When Mark was initially released from the hospital after his accident, he could barely speak, required tube feedings five times each day and relied entirely on his wheelchair to get around. Today, Mark's tracheostomy is gone and his speech is crystal-clear, he eats normally, he is independent in his daily routine, and he walks independently.
Much of Mark's progress occurred in Kennedy Krieger's Specialized Transition Program, a day hospital designed to help children undergoing extensive rehabilitation re-enter home, community and school life. Children in STP receive physical and occupational therapy, speech-language pathology, neuropsychology and nursing care as well as educational services. The goal is to give children the services and support they need to make the transition back into their daily routines and responsibilities as smooth as possible.
- Patient Care Overview
- Diagnoses & Disorders
- Concerns & Symptoms
- Find a Specialist
- Patient Care Programs
- Patient Care Centers
- Departments & Medical Specialties
- Patient Care Laboratories
- Faculty & Staff
- For Patients & Families
- For Health Care Professionals
- Request an Appointment
- Online Bill Pay
- Community Programs
- Child and Family Support Program
- Community Rehabilitation Program
- Family Center Community Programs
- Family Support Services
- Physically Challenged Sports & Recreation Program
- PACT: Specialized Child Care and Family Support
- Southeast Baltimore Early Headstart
- Specialized Health Needs Interagency Collaboration
- Therapeutic Foster Care
- Adaptive Sports Program
- Maryland Center for Developmental Disabilities
- Inspiring Stories
- Professional Training Overview
- Professional Training Programs
- Training Disciplines
- Professional Training Faculty
- Training Affiliations
- Training, Technical Assistance, Dissemination
Appointments & Referrals
News & Updates
FIND A SPECIALIST
Read inspiring stories, news and updates about the Institute's patient care, research, special education, professional training, and community programs.
A free resource that provides access to information and support for individuals and families living with developmental disabilities.