Status messageActive context: kki_bg_colors_green
Specific Health Issues: Ventilator Dependent -- SHNIC School Nurses Information
Underlying Condition and Possible Problems Arising from Student's Health Condition:
- Degree of student's dependency on ventilator.
- Student's ability to request assistance, pertaining to problems (i.e., mucous plug).
- Type of ventilator.
- Signs and symptoms of respiratory distress.
- Baseline status (i.e., ventilator setting, lung sounds, rate, color, pulse, Sat. Level, etc.).
- Need for skilled caregiver with student in classroom setting and transport.
- Ventilator settings checked every one to two hours.
- Power supply available as back up.
- Resuscitation and emergency orders.
- Latex allergy
- Other equipment necessary.
- Emergency protocols.
- Training of caregivers, etc.
Important Issues (Checklist):
- Make sure that you have a copy of the troubleshooting guide
- Check power system (i.e., internal battery and external battery)
- Accessible functioning outlets
- Oxygen source connection to ventilator, as well as spare tubing and oxygen supply (i.e., spare tank and gauge)
- Flow and percentage of oxygen
- Humidification source
- Student pressure manometer
- Peak inspiratory pressure (PIP)
- Positive and expiratory pressure (PEEP)
- Ventilator mode
- Inspiratory time
- High pressure alarm
- Low pressure alarm
- Power source alarm
- Patient pressure tubing
- Patient port
- Exhalation valve
- Peep valve and additional adapters
- Check power supply of battery everyday, make sure that, if possible, the ventilator can be plugged into wall when student is at school.
- Check settings of ventilator against physician's orders to ensure proper settings are maintained.
- Check to make sure that the access number for emergency repair is visible on the ventilator.
- Check to make sure that there is a spare tank of oxygen and guage, as well as connecting tubings.
- Check to make sure that the student has supply bag with them that contains an ambu bag with proper connecting tubes.
- Community Programs
- Child and Family Support Program
- Community Rehabilitation Program
- Family Center Community Programs
- Family Support Services
- Physically Challenged Sports & Recreation Program
- PACT: Specialized Child Care and Family Support
- Southeast Baltimore Early Headstart
- Specialized Health Needs Interagency Collaboration
- Therapeutic Foster Care
- Adaptive Sports Program
- Maryland Center for Developmental Disabilities
- Inspiring Stories
News & Updates
Read inspiring stories, news and updates about the Institute's patient care, research, special education, professional training, and community programs.
A free resource that provides access to information and support for individuals and families living with developmental disabilities.