Status messageActive context: kki_bg_colors_green
The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation Grant Update
In 2010, The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation made a $1 million grant to the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) to finance rental units for non-elderly people with disabilities who have a household income between 15 and 30 percent of the area median income. Statewide, this is between $10,597 and $21,194, with some variability among Maryland’s counties.
Currently, there are seven new rental units that will receive the Foundation financing:
• Two rental units at Foxtail Crossing II, located in Dorchester County
- A 48-unit townhouse community in Cambridge, Maryland
- Under construction and anticipated for occupancy in early 2013
- Rent will be $112 for the 2-bedroom unit and $124 for the 3-bedroom unit
- Income limits: $7,650 – $15,300 for a one-person household and $10,900 – $21,800 for a four-person household
• Five units at Parkview Towers, located in Montgomery County
- A 125-unit, existing elevator building in Takoma Park, Maryland
- Building renovations expected to begin in early 2013 with occupancy in early summer 2013
- Rent will be $250 for an efficiency unit, $258 for a 1-bedroom unit, and $305 for a 2-bedroom unit
- Income limits: $11,300 – $22,600 for a one-person household and $14,525 – $29,050 for a four-person household
Properties are registered at Maryland’s affordable housing registry: www.mdhousingsearch.org.
Interested applicants must submit an application through their case manager or resource coordinator. Case managers will be given a user ID to log on to the system and refer an applicant. Applications are currently being accepted by calling 1-877-496-4954 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Diane Dressler, the MCDD’s program director of training and services for adults, participates in the advisory committee for this grant.
MCDD News & Updates
Passage of the Equal Employment Act:
A free resource that provides access to information and support for individuals and families living with developmental disabilities.