News & Updates
Find A Specialist
Resource Finder at Kennedy Krieger Institute
A free resource that provides access to information and support for individuals and families living with developmental disabilities.
Your child's therapist may use various taping techniques as part of the therapy session to assist with current goals and skills. the tape is applied over and around specific muscles to provide joint support and muscle re-education.
The benefits of taping include:
- Relief of both acute and chronic pain
- Reduction of inflammation, swelling, edema
- Improved circulation and lymphatic drainage
- Reduced fatigue in overused muscles
- Prevention/relief of cramps or spasms
- Supports without restricting range of motion
- Prolongs and enhances the benefit of other therapeutic modalities
- Prevents overstretching or over contraction of injured muscles
- Restores strength to weak or injured muscles
- Improves mobility/flexibility in injured areas
- Enhances muscle tone in weak/poorly toned muscles
- Provides therapeutic benefits 24/7 the entire time it's worn
The most common type of tape used in Kinesio® Tape. Kinesio® Tape is an elastic, cotton, water-resistant tape. The thickness and weight of the tape is designed to be similar to that of skin so it is comfortable and non-invasive. The tape is applied directly to the skin over the muscle that you are trying to affect. The tape is applied differently depending on the outcome desired, and is typically worn for three to five days and then left off for one to two days to allow the skin to rest.
When the tape is first tried with your child, the therapist will put on a small test piece to make sure that they are not going to have a skin reaction to the tape. The therapist will frequently re-assess your child's alignment and movement patterns. As your child progresses, taping applications change to support new skills and goals. Your child's therapist may educate you in how to apply the tape and remove it at home.
For more information, please visit www.kinesiotaping.com.