Road Closure at 801 Broadway Parking Garage
Effective June 18, 2014 - Road closures will block regular access to our Broadway parking garage. Please allow more time for travel to your appointment.
Detour Route and more information.
CARD News & Updates
Center Event Calendar
Autism: Characteristics By Age
Find A Specialist
Resource Finder at Kennedy Krieger Institute
A free resource that provides access to information and support for individuals and families living with developmental disabilities.
Outreach & Training
About Outreach & Training:
Through outreach and training, the Center for Autism and Related Disorders (CARD) at Kennedy Krieger Institute addresses areas such as social-communication difficulties, that affect the lives of children with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) and their families. Through various training methods, we target a wide range of community needs, from child-specific consultations to system-wide change. Our training program extends from local to international sites, benefiting children and families from many ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
Outreach and training efforts incorporate a wide range of educational components, including in-service training on ASD and intervention, specific intervention strategy training, supervision strategies for the classroom, empowering and working with families, Early Achievements (early intervention) model and consultation, and consultations for classroom design and intervention programming.
Below is a list of upcoming events that will be hosted at CARD. Please check back frequently for event updates, as well as new event information.
Current outreach and training opportunities include the following:
- Annual Autism Conference: SAVE THE DATE! October 16-17, 2014
This conference is as applicable to scientists and practitioners as it is to patients and families. The event brings together ASD experts to share ideas and provide updates on the latest innovations.
- Free Sibling Assessments: Experts recommend that infant siblings of children with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) be screened earlier and more often than children who are not at high risk. The Center for Autism and Related Disorders at Kennedy Krieger Institute is now offering a free developmental assessment for infants between 5 and 10 months old who have an older sibling diagnosed with ASD.
- Early Signs of Autism Video Tutorial: To improve recognition of the early signs of ASD among pediatricians, parents, and early intervention providers, autism researcher Dr. Rebecca Landa of Kennedy Krieger Institute has developed this free 9-minute video tutorial on ASD behavioral signs in one-year-olds.
- Physician Webinar: When Behavior Therapy is Not Enough: Psychopharmacology of Autism Spectrum Disorders
Autism spectrum disorders (ASD) are frequently associated with severe and impairing co-occurring psychiatric conditions such as inattention, hyperactivity, impulsivity, irritability, aggression, and self-injury. Treating these symptoms is critical to facilitating progress in in school and multidisciplinary therapies. In this webinar, Dr. Vasa presents the evidence base for using psychopharmacological interventions to treat co-occurring psychiatric symptoms in youth with ASD. Dr. Vasa received her adult and pediatric psychiatry training at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. She has been treating children and adolescents with ASD and other developmental disabilities for over 15 years.
- Professional Training Programs: Specialized training for pre-professionals and professionals in pediatric medicine, psychiatry, psychology, and speech-language pathology.
- Sharing Treatment and Resources (STAR) Parent Trainings: Our own experts and outside speakers discuss a variety of topics, including strategies for playing with your child and understanding behavioral challenges, at no cost to participants.
- Clinical Practice Workshops: Trainings on assessment instruments, therapeutic strategies, and intervention models that are designed for a wide range of practitioners from a variety of disciplines.
- School Consultations: Guidance to national and international programs serving children with ASD as well as assistance for school districts across Maryland in collaboration with the Maryland State Department of Education.
- Technical Assistance Services: Services are provided through a collaboration between the Maryland State Department of Education and Kennedy Krieger Institute’s Center for Autism and Related Disorders. echnical assistance is available to local infant and toddler programs and school systems on Maryland’s Eastern Shore facing challenges in serving children with autism spectrum disorders (ASD).