News & Updates
March 14, 2014 - 10:00am
Resource Finder at Kennedy Krieger Institute
Submitted by admin on June 23, 2011 - 3:08pm
A free resource that provides access to information and support for individuals and families living with developmental disabilities.
Specific Health Issues: Vesicostomy -- SHNIC School Nurses Information
- How long has the student had a vesicostomy?
- Student's ability to perform self-care, access to bathroom with privacy and supplies.
- What the vesicostomy stoma, as well as surrounding skin, looks like.
- Does the student have leakage between catheterizations, if so how much?
- What size catheter should be used?
- How often should vesicostomy be catheterized?
- Typical urine output, as well as color, consistency and any problems with mucous shreads.
- Dietary restrictions (if any), as well as how much water should be consumed each day?
- Parameters regarding when physician is to be called (temperature, decrease urine output, etc.)
- Latex allergy.
- Any physical restrictions.
- Universal precautions, as well as emergency plan.
- Supplies necessary.