News & Updates
Resource Finder at Kennedy Krieger Institute
Submitted by admin on June 23, 2011 - 3:08pm
A free resource that provides access to information and support for individuals and families living with developmental disabilities.
Specific Health Issues: Vagus Nerve Stimulator -- SHNIC School Nurses Information
- Find out the type and make of the Vagus Nerve Stimulator, and have a copy of the Owners Manual. Find out the type of setting being used.
- Understand what type of seizures the student has experienced since placement.
- Does the student have an aura prior to seizure, if so can student communicate this?
- Student should have an identification card with him or her at all times.
- Magnet should be with student at all times, and seizure activity recorded at all times.
- Magnet Safety: Do not store by credit cards, TV, microwave, watches or other magnets.
- Make sure that an emergency plan is in place, as well as education of people using magnet.
- Identify whether or not student is taking medications for seizures.
- Be aware of any activity that might trigger seizures.
- Find out if there are any activity limitations.
- Have parameters of how often to use the magnet, as well as when to transfer to hospital.