News & Updates
Resource Finder at Kennedy Krieger Institute
Submitted by admin on June 23, 2011 - 3:08pm
A free resource that provides access to information and support for individuals and families living with developmental disabilities.
Specific Health Issues: Urostomies -- SHNIC School Nurses Information
- Reason for urostomy and how long student has had an urostomy.
- Student's ability to perform self-care, as well as bathroom access with supplies.
- Color and consistency of urine, should not have an odor.
- Condition of skin around urostomy and any guidelines regarding bag change.
- Baseline status of urostomy regarding amount, color, consistency and any mucous shreads.
- Activity restrictions, if any.
- When to notify physician, parameters regarding urine output, etc.
- Any dietary restrictions, as well as a specific intake of water.
- Universal precautions, as well as emergency plan.
- Any latex allergies.