News & Updates
Resource Finder at Kennedy Krieger Institute
Submitted by admin on June 23, 2011 - 3:08pm
A free resource that provides access to information and support for individuals and families living with developmental disabilities.
Specific Health Issues: Diabetic Pump -- SHNIC School Nurses Information
- When student started on pump, with information regarding basal rate and bolus.
- Copy of the instruction manual for troubleshooting pump.
- Make sure that you know your student's level of understanding of the pump and troubleshooting.
- Have an extra needle, tubing, alcohol and transparent dressing in case the dressing and needle become dislodged.
- Have an extra battery for the pump.
- Clarification of activities or limitations, including if monitoring is required before and after the activity.
- Demonstration of the student's ability to care for self.
- Guidelines for frequency of blood glucose monitoring, as well as orders if bolusing would be required, or treatment for hypoglycemia.
- Emergency plan in place, as well as staff aware of student with diabetic pump.
- In-servicing of staff regarding signs and symptoms of hypo/hyperglycemia.