News & Updates
May 27, 2013 - 12:00pm
May 28, 2013 - 6:00pm
Resource Finder at Kennedy Krieger Institute
Submitted by admin on June 23, 2011 - 3:08pm
A free resource that provides access to information and support for individuals and families living with developmental disabilities.
Specific Health Issues: Colostomy -- SHNIC School Nurses Information
- Reason for colostomy.
- Bowel habits of the student's colostomy, including color, consistency and whether or not irrigations are performed at home.
- Size of stoma.
- How often is the bag changed?
- Any dietary limitations.
- What does the skin look like around the stoma?
- Do you have all equipment necessary to change a bag?
- Do you know the steps required to change the bag?
- Do you have orders of what to do if there is a complication of the stoma?
- Have you assessed your student in what his or her role is when caring for the colostomy?