News & Updates
Resource Finder at Kennedy Krieger Institute
Submitted by admin on June 23, 2011 - 3:08pm
A free resource that provides access to information and support for individuals and families living with developmental disabilities.
Specific Health Issues: CIC -- SHNIC School Nurses Information
- Reason for catheterization at school.
- Student's ability to cath self.
- Timing of when catheterization is to occur, affording privacy for student.
- Baseline of color, consistency, and amount of urine during catheterization
- Foster independence of student, including setting up supplies.
- Is there incontinence between cathing?
- Latex allergy.
- Supplies at school: Is cath sterile or clean? Size of catheter? Type?
- Student's position during catheterization.
- History of urinary tract infections.
- Accomodations for field trips.
- Flexible schedule allowing missed school work to be reinforced.
- Ability for student to have water with them at all times, along with guidelines of fluid intake.
- If student is unable to cath self, plan to promote independence and time for learning proper procedure.
- Any medications that might affect the color of urine, odor or amount.
- Parameters of when physician is to be notified regarding output amount, color or temperature.
- View Teaching Self-Cathing Presentation (See PDF Below)